The Composition Program has the following announcements to share for April.
Teaching Portfolio Awards
Please join the Composition Program in congratulating the following recipients of the 2021 Outstanding Teaching Portfolio Award. Based on reviewer reports, portfolios from year’s four awardees exemplified pedagogical inventiveness, disciplinary and curricular congruency, and a timely, supportive regard toward first-year writing students at Virginia Tech.
- Sarah Boudreau (GTA; MFA, Creative Writing–Fiction)
- Colleen Correll (Instructor; MA, English)
- Alexa Garvoille (GTA; MFA, Creative Writing–Poetry)
- Kira Gulko Morse (Instructor; EdD, Bilingual Education)
Additional details and links to the portfolios are available at http://www.hokieswrite.com/outstanding-teaching-portfolios/.
Composition Program Statements on DEI and Ed Technology
On Monday, March 29, the Composition Committee ratified with a unanimous vote, the following two statements, which are now published on HokiesWrite:
- Composition Program Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement
- Composition Program Educational Technologies for Writing Instruction Statement
Writing Program Professional Development Events in April
- Composition Program Teaching Circles–Friday, April 9, 12:15-1:10 p.m. via Zoom
- Dr. Christina Cedillo, University of Houston–Clear Lake, “Race, Disability, and Decolonization: Re-visioning Rhetoric, Space, and Time,” Wednesday, April 14, 12:15-1:10 p.m. via Zoom (Hosted by the Rhetoric Club)
- VT-UVA Writing Program Dialogues–Friday, April 16, from 3-4 p.m. via Zoom
Events are open for everyone to attend; for the teaching circles and dialogues events, request the Zoom link by emailing composition -AT- vt.edu. For the Zoom link to Dr. Christina Cedillo’s presentation, contact Matt Homer, homer -AT- vt.edu. Personal invitations for the teaching circles and dialogues events will be sent to GTAs and instructors closer to the day of the event, along with the Zoom link.
Spring 2021 Program Calendar
The events detailed above are also listed on the Spring 2021 Composition Program calendar at http://www.hokieswrite.com/calendar/.
Pathways Assessment – Data Collection in Spring 2021
Pathways Assessment has resumed data collection for Spring 2021. Data are due no later than Wednesday, May 12, 2021. As a program, we are required to gather and submit data from every section of ENGL1105 and ENGL1106. An overview of the process is up to date at http://www.hokieswrite.com/pathways/.
Submissions/Nominations for Distinguished Writing from ENGL1105 & ENGL1106
The Composition Program continues to collect and publish distinguished writing from ENGL1105 & ENGL1106. Submissions are published as part of the document gallery at http://www.hokieswrite.com/docgallery/. For more information about the nomination process, visit the instructor guide module in the Canvas blueprint for ENGL1105 or ENGL1106.
Continue to let us on the program leadership team know if you have any questions we can help with.